Each cottage currently houses the bare necessities – a simple stove, oven, microwave and refrigerator. In the coming months, our goal is to set up each cottage with all the additional cooking gear needed for the program – from measuring cups and bowls to saucepans and electric griddles. Culinary Cottage will be operating under the Smile Power organization, which is a 501c3 organization, so your donations are tax deductible.
- Gift Registry on Amazon – Here we have indicated specific needs for each cottage. Items can be purchased and sent directly to us. We can provide a tax deductible receipt for any donations. Amazon Culinary Cottage Gift Registry Link
- Financial Support – Our primary operating cost after setting up the kitchen classrooms is the purchase of ongoing food and ingredients for the bi-monthly cooking classes in each cottage. Typically, we can put together a full, four course meal for $75-$100 per session, depending upon what is being cooked.
- Your time – Many corporations in the greater Seattle area offer matching for either volunteer hours or donations. Please consider looking into this when you make your financial donations or your volunteer hours.
Culinary Cottage Leads – Each of the nine cottages will require a volunteer adult to coordinate and be point person for all aspects of the program in that cottage. This will involve:
- Coordination with Staff over calendar, menus, and special food needs of any students
- Choosing Recipes and coordinating any additional supplies if needed
- Maintaining cottage utensils and cooking gear
- Purchase of Ingredients for Classes
- Obtaining Volunteers for Day-Of Cooking Classes
Culinary Cottage Volunteer – Whether you choose to assist each month or just once in awhile, each Cottage Lead will be looking for volunteers to join them on cooking days – typically twice a month for a few hours. Your role will involve:
- Being part of team for Day-Of Cooking Classes, involving other volunteers and cottage staff
- Typically making a food item with a student group (3-5 students)
- Committing to 1-2x a month for a couple hours
If you are interested in volunteering or making a donation, please contact us at CulinaryCottage@aol.com .