Three ways to get involved in the Culinary Cottage Cooking Program at Echo Glen
Each cottage currently houses the bare necessities – a simple stove, oven, microwave and refrigerator. Our goal is to set up each of the nine cottages with all the additional cooking gear needed for the program – from measuring cups and bowls to saucepans and electric skillets. Culinary Cottage will be operating under the Smile Power organization, which is a 501c3 organization, so your donations are tax deductible.
- Gift Registry on Amazon – Here we have indicated specific needs for each cottage. Items can be purchased and will be sent directly to us. We can provide a tax deductible receipt for any donations at your request. Amazon Culinary Cottage Gift Registry Link
- Financial Support – Our primary operating cost after setting up the kitchen classrooms is the purchase of ongoing food and ingredients for the bi-monthly cooking classes in each cottage. Typically, we can put together a full, 3-4 course meal for approximately $50-$65 per class for 12-16 students. Financial donations are also tax deductible.
- Your time – Many corporations in the greater Seattle area offer matching for either volunteer hours or donations. Please consider looking into this when you make your financial donations or your volunteer hours.
We need volunteers to make the program run. No cooking experience necessary, just a willingness to make a difference in the lives of these students.
Each of the nine cottages needs a volunteer LEAD who will be the point person for all aspects of the program in an assigned cottage. This will include:
- Coordination with Staff over calendar, menus, and special food needs of any students
- Choosing Recipes and coordinating any additional supplies if needed
- Maintaining cottage utensils and cooking gear
- Purchase of Ingredients for Classes
- Obtaining Volunteers for Day-Of Cooking Classes
We also need volunteers who just want to come out and cook, with cottage LEADS providing all the direction and ingredients for a hands on experience. Typically is a 1-2X a month commitment for approximately 2 hours.
- Being part of team for Day-Of Cooking Classes, involving other volunteers and cottage staff
- Typically making a food item with a student group (3-5 students) using prepared recipes
- Committing to 1-2x a month for a couple hours
# 3 Come be a GUEST CHEF or talk to our students about the food industry
As our program is quickly expanding, we have found we have some pretty amazing chefs in our classrooms. We would like to welcome local chefs to come in and spend a few hours sharing your cooking skills and knowledge of the food industry. We believe its our mission to help our students look for career opportunities once they leave Echo Glen, and your enthusiasm and willingness to tell them about your cooking career would be enthusiastically received!
If you are interested in volunteering or making a donation, please contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any donations purchased through our online Amazon Registry (link provided above) will be sent directly to us.
Financial donations (Tax ID #: 91-2010749) can be sent to:
Smile Power/Culinary Cottage
228th Avenue, NE Suite 204
Sammamish, WA 98074