Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes and their juice, pureed in a blender
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 basil leaves, chiffonade
- Two boxes pasta, cook as directed on package
For the Sauce: Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add pureed tomatoes and juice, bay leaf and parsley, pepper flakes and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add meatballs and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Remove the bay leaf and parsley, add the basil and serve.
For the Spaghetti: Bring salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti or penne pasta and cook until al dente. Drain well in a colander, toss in sauce, serve with meatballs and Parmesan cheese.