- 2 cups frozen, pitted cherries
- ⅓ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling crust at end
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 box frozen pie crust, thawed
- Flour, for rolling
- Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash)
- Mix the cherries, sugar, cornstarch and almond extract in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, for 5-8 minutes or until the liquid turns thick, gels and bubbles. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out half of the pie crust on a floured surface. Use a round cooker cutter to cut out circles. Re-roll dough to get as many as you can out of each pie crust. Transfer half of circles to the parchment-lined baking sheets. Spoon a couple tablespoons of cherry filling onto the center of each shape. Cover each with the second circle. Press the edges closed with fork tines.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an X in the top crust. Brush each hand pie with egg wash, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown at the edges.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.