- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal ( I like to use coarser polenta)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter the insides and the top of a regular muffin pan (1/3 cup) or use paper liners for muffin tins
- In large bowl thoroughly combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat the egg.
- Beat in the milk and the melted butter.
- Combine with the dry ingredients until just evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese. Save ¼ cup for the topping!
- Immediately spoon the batter into the muffin pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the muffins.
- Bake approx. 17 minutes. One recipe makes 12 muffins!