- Canola non-stick spray for cupcake pans
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or a pinch
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled (half stick of butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup strawberries or blueberries or a mix of berries
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1) Heat oven to 400° F. Spray cupcake pans with nonstick spray.
2) Put metal bowls and whisks in freezer.
3) Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut or pinch the chilled butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Use your fingers to mix until it resembles oatmeal. Add vanilla and whipping cream to your dough mixture with a fork. Add more cream, as needed, to make a soft dough, 1 T at a time. Gather up dough into a ball then divide into three equal pieces.
4) Divide dough into prepared cupcake tin and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove shortcakes from pan as soon as possible and cool on countertop.
5) Wipe out your mixing bowl.
6) In the meantime, stem the strawberries and cut into pieces. Place strawberries in mixing bowl and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon sugar; set aside.
7) Remove metal bowl and whisk from freezer. In a table group, using whisks, hand whip the whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
8) To assemble: Cut the cake in half horizontally. Mix the strawberries and sugar with a fork. Dollop whipping cream inside cake, with a few strawberries, put on lid and repeat – more whipping cream and strawberries on top. Enjoy!